Breast Cancer Risk Factors
At a Glance
These factors can increase or decrease breast cancer risk. The protective factors can actually reduce breast cancer risk.
Factors that influence breast cancer risk include:
- Lifestyle factors like diet and exercise
- Systemic factors like race, power, and inequities
- Chemical and radiation exposures (see our Glossary of Exposures for more)
See pullouts from Paths to Prevention: the California Breast Cancer Primary Prevention Plan for the science on each breast cancer risk factor.
Chemicals in Consumer Products
- Starting in utero, we are exposed to harmful chemicals from consumer products
- Cell phone evidence mixed
- Risk from electric power transmission line close proximity
Types: Article, Fact Sheet, Link, Report