It’s the start of September, which means you’ve probably already sent your kids to school or are prepping them for their first day. When buying (or replacing) your child’s school supplies, beware of common back-to-school items that can contain toxic ingredients:
1. Backpacks & lunchboxes are often made with PVC (polyvinyl chloride), which is widely considered to be the most toxic plastic to our health and environment. Look for backpacks made of canvas, cotton, or other natural materials, and reusable lunch boxes made from stainless steel or canvas.
2. Binders & pencil holders may contain phthalates – plastic-softening chemicals linked to early puberty in girls, reproductive system harm, and other health concerns. Look for fabric pencil cases made of cotton or canvas, binders made from paperboard, and uncoated paper folders.
3. Crayons may contain asbestos – a toxic material that causes cancer. Buy soy, beeswax, or natural-based crayons as an alternative.
4. Many school supplies contain secret fragrance chemicals that smell fun for kids, but are full of hidden dangers. Fragrance can be made of dozens of chemicals that companies are allowed to keep secret – even if those chemicals are linked to cancer, ADHD, and other health concerns. Look for “fragrance-free” school supplies.
5. Many single-use and reusable water bottles are made with plastic, which may contain harmful bisphenols like BPA, BPS, or BPF that leach endocrine disrupting chemicals. Ditch plastic and choose reusable stainless steel or glass bottles instead.
For more information, check out the Coalition for Healthier Schools Action Kit, MADE SAFE’s Tips for Safer Back to School Supplies, and U.S. Public Interest Research Group’s new study “Safer School Supplies: Shopping Guide” on harmful chemicals in everyday school supplies.
What about products?
At BCPP, our partners in prevention are businesses that value the health and well-being of all. Check out our safe Back-to-School guide below, filled with fabulous partner products you’ll fall in love with!
The North Face
Explore new, empowering kids clothes
Be the first in school to have these latest styles! The North Face fundamental mission remains unchanged since 1966: provide the best gear for our athletes and the modern day explorer, support the preservation of the outdoors, and inspire a global movement of exploration. Get your shop on today at thenorthface.com!
Clean Science. Professional Results.
Ban blemishes before the first bell rings with MyChelle Dermaceuticals Clear Skin products. The Clear Skin collection contains NatureClear Complex™, an exclusive, powerful blend of Dermasyr Lilac Stem Cells to inhibit breakouts, Yogurtene to counteract bacteria, Grape Stem Cells to protect against oxidative stress, Probiotics to prevent surface impurities, and Aloesin to reduce the appearance of redness and discoloration. Together, these non-irritating ingredients help control oil and clear blemishes for a smoother, more refined texture.
Lifestyle | Everyday | Commute
Simple, functional, and ready for anything and every day, the Arcane Series introduces comfort and intelligent design to stylish packs that appeal to urban warriors. By combining comfortable carry, function, and style, we offer a better solution and promise. Shop the Arcane Series now.
Tare It Up
Our popular Tare It Up® Food Canisters replace a lifetime of throw-away plastic containers and bags. They’re ready for the bulk-food aisle at the grocery store, sturdy enough to tote restaurant leftovers home to the fridge, and perfect for transporting food to work, school, or on your next adventure. Our Vacuum Insulated Food Canisters are especially great for keeping food cold and fresh or piping hot. Get yours here.
The original multifunctional headwear band
BUFF® developed and introduced the seamless tubular headwear category. Dedicated to quality, innovation, performance, and UV protection, the BUFF® product line continues to mindfully grow with Hats, Caps, and Arm Sleeves. For us here at BUFF® it is about making memories and the experience along the way – LIVE MORE NOW. Get yours today.
Feed your skin
Play it subtle or amp up the drama this school year! Juice Beauty brings you long wear, hydrating formulas colored with intense plant-derived Phyto-Pigments instead of artificial dyes, and formulated without carbon black and animal glue. Antioxidant-rich textures for shading lids and outlining eyes while protecting against free radicals. Visit juicebeauty.com!